Thursday, May 20, 2010

Today was a pretty average day for Troy. Therapy for 1.5 hours with the different therapists; he sat in his wheelchair for about 4 hours today; he's still breathing on his own with the trache; and not much eye opening or moving of legs and arms today - but I have learned that it's OK if he has days like this, every day doesn't have to be a big day. This all about baby steps.

Also, the therapists have trained me to "tilt" his wheelchair back every 30 minutes for 1 to 2 minutes so he doesn't get sores or breaking down of his skin on his bottom from sitting up and not moving, so that was pretty interesting for me. It wasn't hard, it's just that pulling him back and lifting him back up (Mind you - he's a 186 lbs man...that is NOT helping me!) including the weight of the wheelchair was starting to take a toll on my back. LOL. Needless to say, by the end of the 4 hours I was getting pretty good at using my LEGS to lift him, instead of using my BACK to hoist him back to the upright position. Duh, Joan! :)

Other than that, they upped his Provigil medication to 400mg a day. I obtained some literature from his nurse today on what type of drug Provigil is and it's a medication that is given to patients to help with narcolepsy or to treat shift work sleep disorders. This medicine stimulates the brain to increase alertness. So I'm looking forward to the medication doing what it's intended to do and arouse him. The doctor's say the medicine sometimes takes a few days to get into his system where it really is working to full effect, so we'll see how that goes.

I've been talking to him a lot and at times I do seem to get a reaction out of him, which is good. I'm being as patient as the good Lord allows me to be. I miss my husband!

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Joan, I am so glad to hear this. You are such a strong woman...kiss the babies for us! If you need anything or just a ear to listen call me, anytime day or night! (((HUGS and PRAYERS))

    Crystie, David and Aiden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan,

    Joey (at the shop) just gave me your blog address. As I am sitting here reading your incredibly couragous blog (through both tears and grins at the same time), I am struck by the enourmous power of your faith, which Troy & I talked of often. While you probably do not know me, Troy worked on our bike a number of times & typically the majority of our discussions were Christ centered.
    I will continue to seek prayer for Troy, for you and your family - through our church, Cornerstone in St. Cloud, as well as many friends connected to other churches.

    I know He will bless you and Troy - I look forward to learning of how this blessing takes shape. If we can do anything please let us know.

    IHS,

    Mike K.
    mk413@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete